Background

Friday, January 18, 2013

El Salvador Day #6


Day #6 Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Today was our second day at Spanish tutoring. I really like my teacher. I feel like I am actually learning a lot! Today we started by playing a review game where I had to come up with a word in different categories that started with whatever letter she gave me. Then we spent some time going over reflexive verbs, the present continuous tense and the future tense. We did a lot of practice on these with different scenarios and learning new verbs. During our break we played a 5 on 5 game of basketball with the students vs the teachers. We killed them...but they requested soccer for tomorrow... Then we talked about the churches and different denominations in El Salvador. I feel like we had a very successful morning and I am excited about the rest of the week! 
After we came back and ate lunch with the rest of the group, our group went out on home visits with Marta, the pastor of New Jerusalem church. We visited with 4 different families. It was such an interesting experience to be able to see the range of how different people live as we walked through the streets. We discussed at dinner how crazy it was to be looking up at incredibly beautiful landscape only to look down and find unexplainable amounts of trash under your feet. At one of the houses, as Marta was talking with the woman, we watched as her 9 year old daughter was hand-washing her own clothes and dishes, while the younger children were playing in the yard. At another house, we all got to hold a 6 day old baby girl as we prayed over the mother. I am very thankful for the opportunity we had to visit these families today. It is truly remarkable how each of them live happily in their conditions, when you couldn't pay most Americans to stay on that property for just one night. I am very thankful for the blessings that God has given me to be able to live with abundantly more than I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment