Background

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

El Salvador Day #13


Day #13 Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Today our group went on another field trip. Since Lingenfelter's kids missed the first volcano, we took a trip to Cerro Verde, another national park with volcanoes. We hiked through the park, stopping when we or the tour guide saw something interesting. We took some really awesome pictures with the volcanoes and some cool trees. But one of the neatest things we saw was a baby deer right beside the trail. We were walking on the trail and I looked over to my right to see the little baby sitting in a bed of leaves, literally right beside the path. I said "Oh my gosh, a baby deer!" And immediately Brian says, "No way, they don't exist up here." So I got everyone to come look at it, and sure enough, baby deer! They said that you hardly ever see them in that area. It was so neat, it just sat there quietly as we stood there and took pictures of it. After we finished the hike, we loaded back up on the bus and headed back down to Ahuachapan. Since my iPod had decided to die on me, I didn't have any music to listen to so I had a nice long drive to think. To think about the trip, to think about school, to think about graduation, to think about what in the world I want to do after graduation. I needed some time to get all my thoughts in order, so I was thankful for this time to think.

After we got back and ate lunch, we went back to the El Shaddai worksite to meet up with the Virginia work crew. Then we left on some home visits with some of the Virginia crew. The Virginia group is made up of adults from their 40's to their late 70's. They are from Lebanon, Virginia. Their church has a continued ministry with the Methodist Church of Ahuachapan and they return to this area at least once a year. They are very nice group of people and I am excited about getting to know them better this week! On our home visits, we were blessed to be able to meet the man that built the cross for the new El Shaddai church site. He and family were extremely nice, welcoming us to their home to speak with them and pray with them. I am very thankful for opportunities like this to be able to pray specifically over families in these different communities.

After we were finished with home visits, Brian picked up the rest of the group and got us all down to the ALC school where our tutors work to take some pictures with them. One of the tutors messaged me about wanting us to take pictures with them for their advertisements, so, of course, we decided to help them out! I was so happy to be able to see them again and hang out for a little while. Unfortunately not all of them were able to make it. But I am very thankful for the time that we got to spend with the ones there. I am going to miss all of them very very much!

We got back home, showered, and ate dinner, then some of us loaded up and headed over to where the Virginia group was staying. They put on a Game Night every time they come with the youth from the Methodist churches in the community. There were probably close to 100 people there with our group, the VA group, church office staff, and students from the churches. We split up in two big groups and played the game of Signs the whole time we were there. It was so much fun to be able to play and interact with the students without having to worry about saying something wrong. Signs didn't require any talking so the language barriers didn't matter. It was so much fun! After the game we loaded up on the big bus with the students and Jonathan and Emerson. Thankfully, Jonathan's English is very good, so we spent a lot of time talking with him on the way back. Unfortunately, Jacob and I found out we won't be able to play with their band though, because they have to go out of town for a workshop this weekend :( Oh well, I am still thankful for the time that we have had to get to know these guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment