Background

Monday, January 28, 2013

El Salvador Day #11


Day #11 Sunday, January 13, 2013

This morning we went to church at the Methodist Church in San Salvador, Vida Nueva. The pastor here spoke very clearly so we were actually able to understand some of what he was speaking about. The pastor read out of Psalm 28:1-9, Isaiah 42:1-7, Acts 10:34-38, Luke 3:15-16, 21-22, 2 Corinthians 5:22-20 and Hebrews 10:25. He preached on the ministry of reconciliation.

 The band also put the lyrics on the wall so that definitely helped us to figure out what we were singing about. We sang "How Great Thou Art", "From the Inside Out", and "No Basta", a song that we sang at New Jerusalem the weekend before. When we got back, I looked up the lyrics and the meaning. It is a beautiful song by Juan Carlos Alvarado. Here is the basic translation in English:

Not enough just to sing
not enough just to say
is not enough just to want 
I have to die

It is not enough just to dream
not enough just to say
not enough just to want 
I have to die

Give me your life
that kind of life that you know
give me your life
I want to live only for you Lord
give me your life
revive me in you
I want to live only for you

I want to live only for you
I want to live only for you
Help me Lord Jesus
I want to live only for you

And here is a link to the song on Youtube: 


We got back to the hotel and packed up our stuff. We were waiting in the lobby when this man was at the counter. He had a shirt on that was a map of the world with the flag of each country filling it in. It was a really cool looking shirt, so I told him I liked his shirt. 10 minutes later, he has told us his life story, sold Brittany, Bailey, Olivia and me all shirts, gone back to his room and brought us back candy. Now, because I know way to many horror stories, I chunked that candy in the trashcan as soon as he walked away. Never take candy from a stranger. Duh. 

We had our second American meal of the weekend at Wendy's and then got back on the buses to make the trek back to Ahuachapan. While everyone else, but the driver, was asleep on the bus, I stayed up chatting with Layton, Lingenfelter's daughter. She was asking me all kinds of questions about the other people on the trip, laughing at them sleeping, and making all kinds of crazy things with her silly puddy. Although a nap would have been nice, Layton is a pretty cool kid, so I was glad to stay up and keep her entertained.

After we got back and ate dinner, some of us headed over to the worksite that we had cleared earlier that week. El Shaddai, the church that was going to be constructing a new building there, was having a joint service on the worksite with New Jerusalem, and La Providencia. The Virginia team that was coming to work with the Methodist Church had just gotten in and we got to met them before the service started. One of them helped to translate during the service as well. Some of the pastors and lay people spoke, thanking everyone for coming, and blessing the property that we were on. They read out of Psalm 133 and Psalm 127. The 360 band, the band that Jonathan, Emerson, and Fernando play in, led worship, along with a group from El Shaddai. We sang "Holy, Holy, Holy" and two other Spanish worship songs. The first was "En tu presencia", a beautiful song that some of the girls from El Shaddai sang then worshipped through interpretive dance to. Here is the translation and a video of the song.


I'm glad I meet You
You cleanse me of all fear, Lord
In your presence.

My profits are not as bright
as your crown of surrender
In your presence.

Heaven trembles to see your greatness,
queens and kings are amazed you.

In your presence, we consume,
In Your Presence, Heaven and Earth are one,
In Your Presence you renew all
In Your Presence, all fall before you.

We bow before your presence,
before your power, with your beauty,
to your majesty, there is no one like you.

Splendid, beautiful, glorious,
unsurpassed master 



The other song was "Alaba a Dios" by Danny Berrios. Even before I looked up the full translation of the song, I could feel the power behind it. After reading the lyrics, I get chills thinking about all of those singing this song and fully praising God in the midst of countless trials in their life. Here is the translation and a video of the song. Please take a listen.

God doesn't reject prayer

Prayer is life-sustaining
I've never seen a righteous one without response
or left in suffering.


It's enough to wait for what God will do

When He lifts His hands
It's the hour to win.


Oh, praise, simply praise

if you're crying, praise
in times of testing, praise
if you're suffering, praise
no matter what your praise
He will hear your praise.


God goes before you opening the way

breaking chains, removing thorns
He sends His angels to fight beside you
He opens doors no one can close.


He works with those who trust Him

He walks beside you day and night
Raise your hands, your victory has arrived
Start to sing and praise God.


Praise God

Praise God
Praise God
Praise God


People need to understand

what God is saying
When He is silent, it's because He's working
It's enough to wait for what God will do
When He extends His hands,
it's the hour to win.





 It was a wonderful service. Afterwards, they proceeded to plant a concrete cross that a man from the community had made into the concrete. It was probably eight feet tall and was the symbol for the Methodist Church, a cross with two flames going through it. It was beautiful. However, it took forever for them to get it set up... So while they were setting it up, everyone began mingling around. After a few moments, I felt a hand grab mine and I turned around to find sweet Rosa! Rosa is one of the children that is in the program at New Jerusalem, Children of the Future. Rosa is also the young girl that I saw on home visits, hand-washing the clothes and dishes at her house. She is a beautiful young girl and so sweet. She grabbed my hand and didn't let go until her family had to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment