Background

Friday, January 18, 2013

El Salvador Day #1

* I apologize for these posts being so far behind. Currently it is Friday and we are leaving next Tuesday. Our internet has not been cooperating and I had to get up Honduras posts before starting El Sal posts. Also our internet is being really weird so I am going to try to save time and put up all the pictures after I get back. Don't worry, I promise there will be pictures, just not for a few days. Now, enjoy the blog!

Here the info about the trip that I sent out in my support letters last summer:

My trip to El Salvador will take place for three weeks during the month of January. I will be between the capitol, San Salvador, and the town of Ahuachapán. I will be traveling with a group of ten other college students and two faculty members from LaGrange College. During this trip, we will get to experience a full cultural and educational immersion in Ahuachapán, El Salvador, by spending three weeks working with and for the El Salvadoran people. As a student in the field of ministry, I will be placed working with a church and doing ministry with the people of Ahuachapán. The difference with this trip verses the others is that I am blessed to be able to get internship credits towards my degree with this trip. I have also been blessed to receive a scholarship from LaGrange College that covers 85% of this trip, leaving my estimated cost to be $350.

Day #1 Thursday, January 3, 2013

Our teacher asked us to start our blog the day before the trip, so here it is.
Today was an exhausting day. Brittany and I ran some last minute errands in Columbus to get luggage, devotionals, and bilingual Bibles...and our nails done. I am still recovering from the trip to Honduras, and I am sick. But, I am very much looking forward to being back in Central America. I have realized from my past two trips just how much I love that area of the world. The landscape is beautiful. God's handiwork is evident everywhere you turn and so many parts have remained untouched from human destruction.
I am excited about being in El Salvador for longer than a week. These past two week-long trips have been torture to end. It is just long enough to begin making relationships with people and then having to tear away from them. Almost three weeks is going to allow us to really build relationships with each other and the people in the community that we are going to be serving in, and I am super excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment